Kids and screens have been a hot talking point for parents since the introduction of TVs. Today, screens are everywhere, and often outnumber the number of people in a given household. This has made parents warier than ever, especially when you consider how appealing screen content has become. Between phones, tablets, TVs, computers, and other devices – it can be hard to avoid to screen time. So, the question remains – how much TV should your little ones be watching?
For starters, there isn’t a one-size-fits-all answer to this question. In terms of time, the general rule of thumb is as follows:
If your child is between the ages of 0-2, it’s typically recommended that you keep screen time to a minimum and avoid it if possible. Don’t be too strict though, you can have them on a video call with a loved one. When it comes to kids between 3 and 7, try not to exceed two hours in a day if you can. From 7 and up, this time extends to 3 hours. You will of course need to make an allowance for educational activities like homework which require time in front of a screen.
When it comes to TV, however, parents often forget that it can be used as an educational tool. Think of it like a meal. If you choose healthy ingredients, your meal will be good for you. The same goes for TV and your kids. If you choose the right content, such as educational kids cartoons. These cartoons will have the following benefits for your kids:
- Positive Role Models: Kids need role models who will show them good behaviour. Their favourite characters will do exactly that.
- Language Skills: These cartoons will expose kids to new words and help to understand speech and how to express themselves.
- Empathy: As they watch these shows, they will see different emotional situations that they will encounter later in life. They will show them how to deal with these situations and how to empathise with others.
- Life Lessons: There are important life lessons that every child needs to learn such as honesty, sharing, and inclusion. These cartoons are designed to teach kids these important lessons.
- Entertainment: No one can argue that cartoons aren’t fun, and kids love to have fun!
By choosing the right content, you can ensure that TV time becomes a positive experience for your kids. TV time may be impossible to avoid, but it doesn’t have to be a bad thing for your little ones.